Thursday, August 2, 2007

First Fleet Reflections

We have been learning about the transportation of convicts to Australia aboard the First Fleet.
This week we reflected on "If you were in charge of transporting convicts to a new country, what would you do the same as Captain Arthur Phillip?" And "What would you do differently?"

Brianna Wrote:
If I was in charge of convicts I would keep the convicts in the bottom of the boat and let them up once a week so they don't get sick.
I wouldn't let children be transported to a different country, and if a mother had a baby I'll let the marines look after it so it doesn't get sick.

Andrew H wrote:
I would give the same amount of rations for everybody, go to the same country, Australia, respect the Aborigines like Arthur Phillip did, and take the same amount of marines, convicts, warships and crew.
I would do a lot of things differently. First, I would get more ships, 1 big medicine ship, 8 transport ships, 4 store ships and 2 warships. Also, because there are more transports, the convicts would have more room and space. After I was done I would have tried to find a shorter route.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would get 10 more ships so you could separate the children from the men and women and so they have more room. I would bring marines war men that fight if there are any pirates, sailer and fishermen’s to come with me!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a thoughtful response Brianna, it shows a real concern for the children of these times. I noticed that many of you were interested in the fate of the youngest convict who was transported with the first fleet. Was his name John Hudson?

Anonymous said...

Cool ideas Andrew! What a good idea to provide a medicine ship. ....What would you use the warships for?

I'd be interested in your shorter route...that seems a good idea. Maybe we could scan a map and show a couple of alternative routes. Don't forget that the fleet had to stop for supplies. I'll talk to Mrs Mi on Monday to see if we can investigate

Anonymous said...

I LOVE working on British colonisation and it is so fun. I would have hated it to be a convict of the first fleet. I definitely would have cried every night if I was a child on the first fleet and my mum was left in England

Anonymous said...

i would use the warships for the same reason that Arthur Phillip did, protect the fleet from pirates and the war that the war was happening.