Tuesday, July 24, 2007

British Colonisation

This term we have started to learn about British Colonisation. We have started 'reflection books' so that you can write down what you have learnt each week. Some of the interesting reflections will get posted on this blog each week.

Week 1
Eliza wrote:
I know that Sarah Dorset was a convict and that she is one of my relatives (she stole a coat and was sent to Australia). I also know that there was a war between England and America and England won so they were in charge. Since England's jails were full they started sending prisoners to America. There was another war and America won so they wouldn't take any more prisoners, so they sent them to Australia/New Holland.
I would like to know about some of my relatives and about Captain James Cook.

Andrew S wrote:
I know that the convicts and the prisoners were the first people to come to Australia. I know they arrived in Australia in 1788. I know they travelled for 8 months from England to Australia. I know they stayed under the ship and had not seen the sun for 8 months. I know some died and some got sick and some survived. I know that they didn't have an engine.
I would like to know how many people were in each ship. I would like to know how many ships there were. I would like to know if they got any food.

Well done guys! You have come up with some interesting thoughts.
Mrs Mi

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you already seem to know quite a lot about British Colonisation Year 4. I wonder what things you especially would like to find out about
Mrs M

Anonymous said...

brandon said

i liked learning about space and my favourite planets where pluto,uranus and venus. i made uranus for my paper mache and i enjoyed doing it.

Anonymous said...

I know that England and America had a war and England won. England’s jails were getting overcrowded so they started sending convicts to South America. England and America had another war and America won so America was no longer under control of England. The British Government had no more room for prisoners in the jails so they put them at the bottom of the hulks [the boats]. The hulks were boats that were used in the war’s but England now had better boats now so the hulks were just boats anchored to the bottom of the ocean. The British government had no other choice but to send them to New Holland [Australia].

I would like to know if I had any relatives as convicts.

Anonymous said...

I know that it took 11 ships to sail to Australia known as New Holland then. I know that it took 8 months to sail from England to New Holland. I know that their were more than 1500 people on 11 ships. There were people that were hanged, that over 1000 people died, got sick, and that were out of food and drinks. That they also died because they were down the bottom of the ships and they saw no sun and they were in the dark. I would like to know if any of my relatives were hanged or shipped to America or Australia (New Holland)

Anonymous said...

I know that there was a war between England and America, of cause England won so England send some convicts to America and do work for them. 200 hundred years ago England send 11 boats or ships to Australia which was know New Holland. I would like to know more.

Anonymous said...

i know that it took 11 ships to sail to botanybay. i know that i know the the convicts had know light for 9 months. i know that the convicts only got to eat for 1 week. i know that some convicts died some were sick and some survived on the ship. i know that Englands jails were full so they sent them to America. i would like to know exactly how many convicts there were.

Anonymous said...

I know that I have a relative that was in the 2nd Fleet and her name was Jane Parkinson. She was aboard the Alexander. She had an occupation of knitting, she got sent to Australia for 7 years because she stole a stock of sheep.
I would like to know what year she died in.

Anonymous said...

The excursion was GREAT! It was really interesting. The most things I really enjoyed were eating the food. I also liked being changed up. I liked it because we got to feel how the convicts got changed up. The thing I didn’t want to get was get….. WIPED! IT WAS FUN!

Anonymous said...

i know that i have a realative that was on the first fleet and she was aboard the friendship

Anonymous said...

Did you now that on the ships they used a kat-a-ninetail so they couold count faster. They also had a normal whip for 1 or 2 lashes

Anonymous said...

I love learning about British Colonisation
I would like to know if I had any relatives on the first or second fleet.

Anonymous said...

I like learning about British Colonisation and the first and second fleet, because two of my relatives were on the second fleet I also like learning about the first and second fleet because It is interesting how the aboriginals lived and what it was like for the convicts when they were on the ships and when they arrived at New Holland/Australia and how much space they got on the ships.